11 Jun Fact or Fiction : There’s no time to workout while travelling
Fact or Fiction? Come on, really?! I am going to do my best not to sound smug or bore you to death with my, perhaps over enthusiastic, endless list of benefits to working out while traveling. First, i think its important to define what, in my eyes, i see as a workout. A vacay-workout does not have to look like 60 minutes in a dark, dungeon-like gym surrounded by squat racks and intimidating body builders! For me a workout, whether I am in the comfort of my home routine or abroad on an adventure, is whatever my body and schedule craves. When I was living in New York I got used to jogging the streets of Manhattan. My work schedule was crazy and when the weather was divinely hot it made most sense to take advantage of the opportunity to sweat that was on my doorstep. Literally. This resulted in a bit of a brainwave and is one of the many important things i took from my New York experience. I began to let go of the limitations of HAVING to get to a class or the confinements of the gym and redefined what working out was in my life. Some days, rolling out my yoga mat by the fire at home, some days exploring the nooks and crannies of the most exciting city in the world, suddenly became the norm.
When I returned to Dublin it meant working out was part of my life in a way I never new possible. My workouts ended up being a great way to explore my mood. Weekends in Paris transformed from lazy lie-ons to a run along the Seine, finding new views, cute cafes. Sub zero days in our stunning scandi apartment in Copenhagen looked like a heat filled resistant band #hiit workout, before skipping out to our mouth watering dinner reservation at Mirabelle. Not only does it make my holiday experience a true reflection of what I love doing, but heightens the experience with boosted energy, larger appetite, and sometimes even a way to explore an unfamiliar place (on foot).
I’m going to share my top six ways to easily incorporate exercise into your experience without feeling like it takes away from your limited time exploring new destinations:
- Hike or run/power walk : Look up online the closest hike or best running route, and dedicate a day to it. Not only does this provide a chance to see a different side to the place but by being in nature you are already blowing away any cobwebs you may have from long connecting flights or jet lag. Most cities provide on trip advisor great walking and sometimes running tours of the city. In my opinion a way better memory than sitting a bus for two hours.
- Bring some workout equipment : For me, whether it’s for a sleepover at a friend’s or two weeks in Vietnam, I bring my flexi resistant bands from @mcsportireland. These literally weigh nothing, can fit in your pocket, and can be more effective than weights when it coming to breaking a sweat. Over on my instagram page @mollymckeeveryoga I share weekly workouts you can save and use as a go-to when you’re next away. Most of these are 20-30 minute workouts and will mean, before you know it, you have squeezed in an unbelievable workout before the buffet breakfast has even opened.
- Invest in a travel yoga mat : I use the B Yoga travel mat which is super light and folds perfectly so that you can neatly pack it without having to compromise any of your cute vacation outfits. Find a yoga class online that you enjoy on YouTube and download it so that, incase of useless wifi, you have it all set and ready to flow. I have a youtube channel (Molly McKeever) where I post weekly classes for free and whether you are a regular practitioner or complete beginner there is a class level and duration that will give you exactly what your body is craving. Come flow with me and continue all the posi, strengthening and self-care vibes even when you’re jet setting.
- Classes : Especially when travelling to big cities I adore checking out the most popular classes local to where I am staying. Often in bigger, more established cities, there is a selection unfound in Dublin, that can be so fun to try. It’s a great way again to heighten you’re experience by stepping out of your comfort zone and do something different. If your travel buddy is more of a ‘hit the snooze button’ kind of human then perhaps this fits in perfectly with your shared holiday situation. Or perhaps you’re in luck and you can both head off to a class that suits both followed by a yummy brunch close by! Be sure to do a little research online before you go and book the class ahead of time so you don’t have to waste precious time trying to organise while on hols. I always do a back-up check on Instagram just to make sure I like the look of it.
- Pack some kick ass fitness gear : I always think having some gym gear you love is a brilliant way to get inspired. Treat yourself to a new pair of sneaks, that you can even double style with your summer dresses AND that workout outfit. Here I am wearing my all time Nike Tekno from JD Sports (available in all stores and online).
- Have fun : my last point isn’t really a tip but more of a reminder. YOU’RE ON HOLIDAY SO HAVE FUN! Perhaps you have sacrificed lots of nights out, or shopping sprees etc. to save for this holiday so you want to get the most out of it. This should take precedence above all else! Working out while away on vacation is so possible. While it’s a great way to avoid that dreaded “getting back in the swing of things” post holiday, it shouldn’t be from a place of guilt but pure enjoyment. I am a firm believer in movement/exercise as a source of happiness and path toward your truest, joy-filled self. But if you’re too busy experiencing joy-filled memories in ways that have nothing to do with breaking a sweat than that is PERFECT TOO!
I hope you enjoyed this mini read on how to manage your vacation time in making space for those inspiring workouts. If you would like to be informed of more articles like this subscribe below for notifications. I also, over on my youtube channel, delve a little deeper into creating healthy habits and how I, as a yoga instructor and business owner, work on that balanced life. SO GO SUBSCRIBE and join the journey!